Sunday 4 March 2012

Revisions...I haz them!!

Or, to mimic my initial reaction: Revisions...Yippee, *Gulp*, Arrrghhh! Because, yep, that's how I felt when I finally managed to open the editor's 5-page revision letter. I think my brain stopped working after the first 4 pages because it took me a while to notice there was one more page, lol!

At first glance, it seemed EEEENDLESS! Trust me, I couldn't look again for a whole hour without hyperventilating. I kept thinking, oh no, oh no, oh no, I can't do this. Then I read the letter again, and I saw words like, "highly unique gem of a story", and "fresh and sparkling voice" and "keen to see this again", and I thought, ok, she liked the majority of the story. I just, you know, need to gut it a little, lol.

I left the letter for a day and read it again. It's amazing how much perspective time can bring. But I was still too focused on the "Oh My God - 5 Pages!" I moaned to my CPs. I got a group hug and more, "You can do this, Maya!" They reminded me of other nice things the editor had said about my writing and story. I felt heaps better but...5 pages!!!

Cue more whining, lol.

But, despite, wanting to curl up in a ball and cry, I know I have to get over it and do the work. I have a deadline of 21st March to return the revisions, and, by hell or high bitching, I aim to deliver. To this end, I've conquered the 5 pages to a mere (pffft!) page and a half of 20 bullet points broken down into two sections - Small Revisions & Big Revisions! See how easily the triple-headed monster becomes a wimpering puppy?? Double Pffft!

At the moment, the plan is to get the first draft done by next weekend, then go over it, and over it until it's shinier than a shiny, shiny thing! But before I disappear into my revisions cave, I just wanted to shout out my appreciation to my lovely CPs and wonderful writing friends who are so supportive and generally, well, wonderful!

And also to remind you to send care packages. Chocolate and booze helps. Thanks, and see you in 3 weeks!

Maya x

PS - This blog may be neglected for a bit but I know you'll understand ;)

9 comments:

  1. HUGE congrats Maya! I KNOW you can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachael!! Just need to remember to breathe through it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jackie!! How are you, my dear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unique gem of a story? Duuuuuuuude!! That ed seriously loves you :-) And you can totally do this *waves pom poms* Go, Maya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock, woman. You can do it!! Major congrats btw. Sending happy hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to reading your "shiny, shiny thing".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mega congrats! You CAN do it, yes you can. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, ladies!! Your faith helps with the panic, lol!

    ReplyDelete