Friday 8 April 2011

YES, GO THERE!!!

Editors are always telling us to push the envelope, or boundaries, or whatever it is they want pushed, to which I say...YEAH!

But, when it comes to the actual pushing of the thing, I’ve always fretted about how much is enough or how much more to push it, you know? Ok, I know same sex couples won’t fly in a Presents or that the heroine can't suddenly develop fangs or horns, or wings…or can she? Hmm...

Anyway, I think one of the reasons I’ve been so reluctant to tackle my latest MS is because I'm, in a word, TERRIFIED! It starts with the heroine doing something so, so terrible that every time I think about it, I cringe for her. She’s in a desperate position and fiercely believes she doesn't have a choice. She has to act to save someone she cares about BUT it’s still wrong. From the very first line of the story, she knows this. But she *has* to go through with it or well, there's no story. And then there’s the fallout from her actions. And the hero who has to dig very, very deep to forgive and love her...

Ack! Talk about pressure. She (and by she I mean, I) have been faffing about muchly, seriously wussy about getting into the story because of this fear of pushing this particular envelope that in the end and I discussed it with my DH. Guess what he said? Well his answer is the title of this post…heh!

So I’m about to plunge my characters into their deepest, darkest nightmare and literally bringing two kingdoms to the brink of war!!! (yes, it deserves three exclamation points ;))

I need luck and a lot of backbone for this one. I *will* write it!

And if I’m not a babbling wreck by the time I finish chapter 3, I’ll let you know how it went…

9 comments:

  1. It sounds fabulous Maya. I'm a big fan of your DH advice. Lots of luck but I don't think you'll need it and hopefully I can bribe you into sending those chapters to me for a sneak peek =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do it, Maya, and it sounds like you must, do it all the way. Don't allude to it, or skirt around it. Do it. But make sure her motivations shine through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two kingdome on the brink of war? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I'm dying to read this one! Hurry up and write more, and sneak some out to the minxes, pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, what would you be bribing me with then, Lacey? I'm *very* amenable to to bribes, oh yes ;) Thanks for the good wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that's what I've pretty much decided, Maisey. Unless she does the thing, there's not much of a story. And guess, what? I found a lovely twist at 2am this morning for her to do just that. I'm excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you still are when you give it the Minx eye in the near future, Romy. *bites nails*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm writing, I'm writing, Sally. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, but hopefully you'll see it, warts and all, soon ;)

    ReplyDelete